Presentations and Publications about the Ancient Graffiti Project
- R. Benefiel, H. Sypniewski, K. Helms, and E. Zimmerman Damer, “Regio I – Latium et Campania. Pompeii et Herculaneum: Graffiti,” Italia Epigrafica Digitale vol. II.3 (2017), 856 pp. http://www.cognitivephilology.uniroma1.it/index.php/ied/issue/viewFile/1169/29
- R. Benefiel, S. Sprenkle, H. Sypniewski and J. White, “The Ancient Graffiti Project: Geo-Spatial Visualization and Search Tools for Ancient Handwritten Inscriptions,” In DATeCH2017 Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Digital Access to Textual Cultural Heritage, New York: ACM (2017),163-168. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=3078081.3078104
- Rebecca R. Benefiel and Holly M. Sypniewski. “Images and Text on the walls of Herculaneum: Designing the Ancient Graffiti Project,” in A. Felle & A. Rocco, eds. Off the Beaten Track: Epigraphy at the Borders. Oxford: Archaeopress (2016), 26-45.
- Rebecca R. Benefiel, Jacqueline DiBiasie Sammons, and Holly M. Sypniewski. “Herculaneum Graffiti Project: Initial Field Season, 2014,” The Journal of FASTI Online (2016). http://www.fastionline.org/docs/FOLDER-it-2016-361.pdf.
- Rebecca R. Benefiel, Jacqueline DiBiasie Sammons, “The Ancient Graffiti Project,” Friends of Herculaneum Archaeology Magazine – http://www.herculaneum.ox.ac.uk/files/NEWSLETTER%2019%20final%20.pdf
- “Graffiti In Pompeii and Herculaneum give insight into groups marginalized by history books” The Local: Italy
- Kyle Helms “Professor Works to Share, Preserve Ancient Graffiti” Creighton Magazine
- “New Project Uncovers Ancient Games and Gladiators through the Graffiti of Fans”, Forbes
- “The Ancient Graffiti Project — Ancient Worlds Revived by Modern Scholars” Mostly Mammoths-
- Jacqueline DiBiasie Sammons “Saving the Scribbles” Sewanee Features –
- Holly Sypniewski “Millsaps Team seeks to preserve ancient graffiti” The Jackson Clarion-Ledger
* denotes student presentations; ** denotes faculty-student collaborations
- Erika Zimmermann Damer, “The Ancient Graffiti Project,” Virginia Governor’s Latin Academy, Randolph Macon College, July 2017.
- “The Ancient Graffiti Project,” Ancient Maker Spaces: Digital Tools for Classical Scholarship. A workshop showcasing digital projects at the annual meeting of the Society for Classical Studies, Toronto, January 2017.
- Jacqueline DiBiasie Sammons and Holly M. Sypniewski, “iGraffiti: Digital Recording of Ancient Graffiti from Herculaneum, Italy,” Archaeological Institute of America, Toronto, CAN, January 2017. Winner: Best Poster Presentation, first runner-up.
- *Grace Gibson, “Pictorial Graffiti in Context: An Analysis of Drawn Graffiti in Herculaneum,” Archaeological Institute of America, Toronto, CAN, January 2017.
- **Jacqueline DiBiasie Sammons and Grace Gibson, “The Ancient Graffiti Project: Using Graffiti in the Latin Classroom,” Tennessee Foreign Language Teaching Assoc., Murfreesboro, TN, November 2016.
- Erika Zimmermann Damer, “The Writing on the Wall: Roman Graffiti in the Digital Age,” Saturday Seminar for K – College Latin educators, Randolph Macon College, October 2016.
- *Nathan Brewer, Michael Dik, Lillian MacDonald, and Alicia Martinez. “Herculaneum Graffiti Project and the Ancient Graffiti Project” – Summer Scholars presentation, Washington and Lee University, July 2016.
- Rebecca Benefiel. NEH Summer Seminar at Gustavus Adolphus College on Roman Daily Life, July 2016, Prof. Benefiel taught participants about ancient graffiti and introduced resources available in AGP.
- Sara Sprenkle, “Thinking Like a Computer Scientist about Ancient Roman Graffiti,” Linking the Big Ancient Mediterranean Conference, University of Iowa, June 2016
- Rebecca Benefiel, “Roman Graffiti and Digital Humanities,” University of Houston, April 2016
- Rebecca Benefiel, “Writing and Reading in Ancient Herculaneum,” Foreign Language Association of Virginia, April 2016
- Jacqueline DiBiasie Sammons, “Picturing 1000 Words: Digital Archaeology at Pompeii and Herculaneum,” Miillsaps College, February 2016
- Erika Zimmermann Damer and Holly M. Sypniewski, “The Herculaneum Graffiti Project: Ancient Wall Inscriptions and Digital Humanities,” Society for Classical Studies Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, January 2016
- Rebecca Benefiel, Holly Sypniewski, and Erika Zimmermann Damer, “Wall Inscriptions in the Ancient City: The Herculaneum Graffiti Project,” American Congress of Greek and Latin Epigraphy, Berkeley, CA, January 2016
- Rebecca Benefiel and Holly Sypniewski, “Images and Text on the Walls of Herculaneum: Designing the Ancient Grafiti Project,” Epigraphy at the Borders, Bari, Italy, September 2015
- *Mary Beth Smith and Jamie White, “Computing and Ancient Inscriptions,” Summer Research Scholar Series, Washington & Lee, July 2015
- Rebecca Benefiel, “Ancient Graffiti at Herculaneum,” Institute for Digital Archaeology Conference, Oxford, May 2015
- Rebecca Benefiel and Holly Sypniewski, “The Ancient Graffiti Project,” Let’s Get Digital Panel at the Classical Association of Canada Annual Conference, Toronto, May 2015
- Holly M. Sypniewski, “Social Media in Ancient Rome,” Herrin Speaker Series, Hendrix College, March 31, 2015
- *Pasquale Toscano, “HGP Brings Classics into the 21st Century,” Science, Society & the Arts Undergraduate Conference, Washington & Lee University, March 2015
- Jacqueline DiBiasie Sammons, “Flashdance: Application of Reflectance Transformation Imaging to Wall Inscriptions from Pompeii and Herculaneum,” AIA Annual Meeting, January 10, 2015
- Margaret Hicks, Manchester Middle School Latin Club, November 2014
- *Braxton Rasmussen and Melanie McCrory, “Herculaneum: A Study of Ancient Graffiti and the State of Conservation,” UT Archaeology Playdate, October 21, 2014.
- Jacqueline DiBiasie Sammons,”New Approaches to Photographing Graffiti,” UT Archaeology Playdate, October 21, 2014
- *Mary Beth Smith, Kathryn Clikeman, Megan Rebman and Gia Nyhuis, Donna Dollings and Margaret Hicks, Foreign Language Association of Virginia, October 2014
- Rebecca Benefiel, “An epigraphic field school in the Bay of Naples: The Herculaneum Graffiti Project,” CAMWS Southern Section, October 18, 2014
- Erika Zimermann Damer, “Herculaneum Graffiti for the (Twenty-)First Century,” Southeastern College Art Conference, October 10, 2014
- **Jace King, Megan Rebman and Holly M. Sypniewski, “Recording Roman Voices: Ancient Graffiti in the Shadow of Mt. Vesuvius.” Millsaps College Forum Series, October 3, 2014
- *Mary Beth Smith and Paqui Toscano, W&L AntiquiTEA, September 2014
- Jinyu Liu, History on the Wall: Report on Archaeology in an Ancient Roman City , Shanghai Normal University, July 4, 2014