Map of Herculaneum (copyright free; print your own and color in your classroom)
Sample lesson plans for mini-modules on interesting topics:
- Lesson plan for Greetings among ancient graffiti
- Common abbreviations: SAL = salutem, VA = vale
- Lesson plan for Getting to know Primigenia
- Lesson plan for Advertisements for gladiatorial games
- Common abbreviations for gladiatorial advertisements and basic information
- Dates and the Roman calendar
- Common abbreviations: K = Kalends, (E)ID = Ides, NON = Nones
- and more… A.D. = a(nte) d(iem), PRID = pridie
Created by Jacqueline DiBiasie Sammons (University of Mississippi) for the Ancient Graffiti Project; presented at the Tennessee Foreign Language Teaching Association Annual Meeting (October, 2016).
“Promoting Women in the Latin Classroom with Graffiti”, Cloelia, 4 (2014): pp. 35-41- Article and accompanying handout about using graffiti to counteract the gender imbalances present in many Latin textbooks.